[kwlug-disc] Adding a second LUKS Key.

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Aug 19 16:46:11 EDT 2013

I assume you're using `cryptsetup`?It looks like the luksAddKey sub-command
allows you to provide an existing passphrase by using --key-file (which is
separate from providing a new or additional keyfile). From the man page:

       luksAddKey <device> [<key file with new key>]

              adds a new passphrase. An existing passphrase must be
supplied interactively or via --key-file.  The new passphrase to be added
can be specified interactively or read from the file  given  as
              positional argument.

              <options> can be [--key-file, --keyfile-offset,
--keyfile-size, --new-keyfile-offset, --new-keyfile-size, --key-slot,
--master-key-file, --iter-time, --force-password].

So this should provide an interactive prompt for a new (typed) passphrase:

    cryptsetup luksAddKey --key-file /my/existing/keyfile

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Joe Wennechuk <
youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a LUKS encrypted partition that is opened using a keyfile. I did
> not set a password on the Key slot when I encrypted the partition as I was
> using a keyfile.
>
> I am trying to add a second LUKS key, and it is asking me for a password.
> I do not have a password only a key file.

Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>