[kwlug-disc] Linux 'equivalent' to Windows 'start' command.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Aug 15 14:39:13 EDT 2013

> I would avoid using  < /dev/null  because that implies that the program
> you're running expects input, and probably should not be run in the
> background.

Not looking to have it run in the background, just start my gui window
whatever, already, sort of thing.

There's no implication here.

All programs get their stdin/out/err file descriptors initialized. This
is just covering the bases.

Thanks for the reminder of &1. The format is probably most useful for
aliases or scripts, and may as well be explicit rather than implicit.
Extending your note things become

{cmd} > /dev/null 2>&1 <&1 &

The job id report is no biggie, but the exit status report can be
annoying, in the middle of whatever you've moved on to.