[kwlug-disc] Linux 'equivalent' to Windows 'start' command.

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Aug 15 13:10:07 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:10:47AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> What is the equivalent in Linux?
>
> {blah} < /dev/null > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &
>
> doesn't do it. I frequently still get output in my console window, let
> alone job status messages.

Job status is useful and minor.  Not sure how to disable it, but you
can use 'set +m' to remove the message after a job quits.

Can you give an example of a command that produces output with
your redirection samples above?

I usually use something like this (which is similar to yours above):

	cmd > /dev/null 2>&1 &

I don't recall output getting through with a command like that.

I would avoid using  < /dev/null  because that implies that the program
you're running expects input, and probably should not be run in the
background.

- Chris