[kwlug-disc] (Easy) Linux File Sharing?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 8 02:18:57 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 09:10:44AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:

> i.e. It checks my account credentials there, gives me / (root)
> access, and just lets me get on with my day. (Access as in can type
> '//{machine}/{dir}' - let permissions there determine whether I can
> write anything or not.)
>
> I get that Samba and NFS are out there, but IIRC each requires a
> separate list of accounts / passwords / permissions. It is ludicrous
> to scp things everywhere - no point encrypting over my local
> network, which I entirely control. [rcp is frowned upon due to
> open-text passwords, and I can accept that, but it seems it is
> encrypt everything (scp) or nothing (rcp) - just encrypt the
> password only and get on with it.]

Other than being ludicrous, what is your complaint about encrypting
traffic on your LAN? People mentioned CPU bottlenecks with low-powered
devices elsethread; is that happening to you? Or is your objection
aesthetic?

Some things I have been reading online suggest using scp with fast
ciphers, like rc4 or blowfish.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org