[kwlug-disc] Software Freedom Day: help wanted

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 7 22:43:13 EDT 2013

At work we (at Computer Recycling/The Working Centre)
are talking about hosting Software Freedom Day this year.

It looks like somebody (somebody named Bob Jonkman, in fact) has
already put us on the map:

http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2013/Canada/Kitchener

The question is whether there is enough energy in the community to
make this event happen (and a success). So: this is a call for
helpers:

- People to help publicize the event
- People to help organize the event (What should we do? Are DVDs and
  CDs obsolete yet?)
- People to offer presentations (if we do presentations)
- People to help host the day (if we do an installfest)

At this point, it looks like The Working Centre would be willing to
host if we get enough outside help, because we are kind of stretched
to do all of the organizing ourselves. I don't know exactly what
"enough" means, but getting some volunteers in response to this
posting would be a nice start.

If you are finding this plea for help too demanding, then there is no
problem if somebody else wants to host.

Another factor is the date. Once again Sept 21 conflicts with the
Royal Medieval Faire, which sucks away potential Software Freedom Day
volunteers. We could change the date, perhaps to a week later. Should
we?

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org