[kwlug-disc] (Easy) Linux File Sharing?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Aug 6 19:52:58 EDT 2013

Thank you for your post and most excellent information.

Still ludicrous that samba requires an unencrypted password (somewhere
at some point) - be it stored or entered in plain text, not even a
password prompt where keystrokes aren't visible. Even a credentials
file, even if only accessible by that user, still stores the password
unencrypted. I'll have to look further into things, given your message.

AFAIK, this inter-Linux Samba (looking for a la windows inter-machine
'easiness') is still going to lose file permissions (let alone ACL's).

Guess this all comes down to an original basic expectation that
inter-machine file transfers would only occur over well-defined paths,
not on the fly.

Which probably made sense for the time, with many fewer machines,
usually mini-computers, rather than today's plethora of PCs and other
devices within any single trusted network.

Thank you again.