[kwlug-disc] What's needed for OTA on a TV cart?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Apr 2 15:16:43 EDT 2013

On 13-04-02 03:15 AM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> Demo for the LUG?

Nah, a bit esoteric / out of scope, let alone unwieldy, physical
equipment wise.

Now, if someone has a USB ATSC tuner, and an internal directional
antenna, for watching under Linux, that's a topic. (Though not for me -
not my setup.)

It has occurred to me how such a setup (With a wrapped up wire FM
dipole?) could be useful when travelling. However, if one is in a hotel
with free local TV there doesn't seem much point. If camping, with
electricity, tvfool.com would be useful for which direction to look to,
and for what channels, will be useful.

>  From your description, it sounds like you're still pulling in an
> analogue signal. Why else would you be seeing garbled closed
> captioning?  I thought with digital broadcast it was all or nothing.

Apparently cc under digital is different. In at least some cases, rather
than being a text substream, its an image overlay - so given the not
dead perfect signal I'm getting, perhaps that explains it.

> And I expect you've already searched for something like this:
> https://ixquick.com/do/metasearch.pl?query=digital+reception+rabbit+ears

<sigh> No, never occurred to me. Pardon me while I go look ... (-:

(Thanks.)