[kwlug-disc] Favourite Android off-line nav(igator) app?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Oct 26 02:00:15 EDT 2012

I like OSMAnd~ , available through the FDroid repository
http://fdroid.org or directly from http://osmand.net (and, of course,
the Google Play store as well).

There seem to be three versions, OSMAnd, OSMAnd+ and OSMAnd~  As far as
I can tell OSMAnd+ is just the paid-for version of OSMAnd.  I don't know
if there is any functional difference.  I'm using the app that calls
itself OSMAnd~ ; I don't know how it differs from the other two, and I
didn't realize that was the version I had until I was showing it to
someone else this past weekend.

OSMAnd~ has offline maps and does offline routing.  It also does online
mapping and routing.  It has map overlays, map underlays, differing
levels of transparency for map layers, and all sorts of features that I
have only begun to explore.  It records tracks, and has an interface to
upload tracks and Points-Of-Interest to OSM, but I haven't used those
functions yet.

On my LG-P999 (Genesis-Stable-Build1 based on Cyanogenmod 9, ICS
4.04).using it with the GPS radio turned on uses lots of power, and
battery life is not so good (that's probably because Genesis is an early
build).  But in the car I can plug it in, and it's just fine.

--Bob.