[kwlug-disc] Android / Google calendar - events as tasks.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Oct 23 16:49:29 EDT 2012

On 12-10-23 03:38 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> I've often thought that a Project Management application could use
> CalSch standards to store tasks and sub-tasks (nested without limit),
> and vCards for resources.  The output could be entirely iCal and vCard
> feeds, compatible with any calendaring software. Add some basic mail
> functionality (Zawinski's Law for servers), and you'd have a dandy
> Project Management/Calendar/Mail system. Haven't found any such software
> yet..

I don't expect this to be possible, the horsepower and complexity needs
of PM software being too great. Consider dotProject. Consider resource
levelling. Suppose you're building the Olympic Games. If the designer
intends to some day get to that level, then that level of complexity has
to be accommodated for up front in terms of design. Few need that level
of complexity, yet it would sure be nice if things would scale and
transition seamlessly. Such as, perhaps, switching from sqlite to mysql
to postgresql. Add Gantt charting and other complexity not intuitively
useful to a calendaring client ...

Now, that is absolutely not to say that such shouldn't / wouldn't have a
calendaring remote it syncs information with. As a task is assigned is
sends out a message to tell the beastie responsible for the resources
assigned's calendar. (But the PM software considers itself authoritative.)

> I am still looking for a Free/Libre calendar/mail server. I just
> uninstalled Zimbra Open Source; partly due to admin interface
> shortcomings (lack of granularity in managing the non-standard,
> out-of-date Postfix server), partly lack of full calendar integration
> (no CalDAV; no iCal feeds for input), and partly because of a dependency
> on Adobe Flash for admin reports.
>
> About two years ago I installed Kolab, but at that time the version in
> the Ubuntu repositories wasn't supported by kolab.org, and the version
> distributed by kolab.org used a proprietary package manager (which I
> think is no longer supported either).

owncloud? (SyncML?)

[LDAP fits into this mess somewhere, somehow.]

eGroupware (I thinks it's changed directions though) - at one point I
thought they had a synergy between e-mail, contacts, calendar, tasks,
projects, and help desk. Let alone resources like documents linked
throughout.

Is this not what SharePoint, et al, are all about?

CRM? Somewhere between ACT and Sugar CRM and to points beyond?

> I've been making a list at
> http://bob.jonkman.ca/blogs/2012/10/12/calendaring-server-software/  If
> anyone can help fill in the blanks, or has additional recommendations
> please let me know.

The problem is more stupidly complex than just servers though.

All aside from cross-platform, not just Windows / Linux ( / Java?), but
Android / iPhone.

The very presence of PDA's, and you won't pry them out of people's
hands, means you need some sort of cloud solution. Cloud merely means
non-local / sync'ed home safely. Doesn't mean the cloud isn't your own
internal server. The presence of PDA means that the client has to be
local to the PDA, AS DOES THE DATA, and, more insidiously, compatible
with the cloud that that PDA understands - today, that usually means
Google. Yet Google is broken / minor sub-set of functionality that needs
to be present. Be it tags and contexts for tasks, or the ability to
check off an 'event' as complete.

So how do you sync to something 'real' via Google? (Embedded data tags
within the notes.) And what happens when the user deletes them then
tries to sync back to the real server? (Even if indirectly.)

In my current hunt, I've seen two ways of PDA. Schlep files back and
forth via Dropbox (todolist), and sqlite database / individual file
record sync back to real sync'ing app on PC, [monolithic file, a la
btrieve] (mlo). Or you're into a non-trivially cheap / less capable
cloud solution (Toodledo), no-subtasks.

With few / no desktop apps, except on Windows.

If there were money in it, it would be done and out there by now.

There is - it's called (apparently) Outlook, and SharePoint. (Yech!)