[kwlug-disc] feedback request to shape the November topic

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Oct 13 15:25:58 EDT 2012

On 12-10-13 02:40 PM, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> On 10/13/2012 01:23 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM, R. Brent Clements <rbclemen at gmail.com
>> <mailto:rbclemen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>      In order to make the topic of Arch Linux more relevant to what people
>>      hope to get out of it, I welcome any input on what people would like
>>      to see focussed on.  I don't imagine a simple walkthru of the
>>      installation is really of that much interest.
>>      Specifically, if people could answer this question:
>>      Why are you (or would you be) interested in using a distro that
>>      requires so much more hands on work to install and configure?
>>      I know that the first answer that will come to mind for most people is
>>      simply to try it, or in order to learn more about how their system
>>      works "under the hood".  And that is a perfectly valid response to my
>>      question.  However, I am more looking for specific applications or
>>      goals that I may be able to address in the discussion.
>>      The presentation probably will include some amount of comparison to
>>      other "hands on" distros I am familiar with.
 >> I would be interested in:
 >> Differences between Debian or Ubuntu.
 >> Why would I want to consider ArchLinux vs. those?

Brent, given the way you have phrased your message, the first thing that
went through my mind is how does ArchLinux fit into the distribution
firmament vis a vis Debian/Ubuntu, as Khalid points out, but also vis a
vis Gentoo.

>> Does it have long term support versions (e.g. 3 years desktop, 5 years
>> server)?
>> Does it have a server edition (no GUI, no desktop)?

Do not all distros have a non-gui installer where it is optional to not
install X / a desktop at all?