[kwlug-disc] VPS hosting

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 26 21:37:47 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 02:03:03PM -0500, Jonathan D. Poole wrote:

> Myself, I run a vmware platform and do VPS hosting for pay as you
> go, and monthly commit customers.  So I may be a bit biased in my
> recommendations, but I have used aws, linode, and iweb/rackspace
> before for my own needs.  If you want some information, I'll send it
> to you if you are interested.

This is an onlist message, but I will happily take information if you
want to send it to me (offlist or onlist).

> What's the terrifying concerns you have? are they based on security?
> or just that the internet is a dark scary place full of peddlers,
> liars, and thieves?

All of the above, and specifically things like DDoS attacks and
defacers. Certainly apticron and locking down the basics is part of
the answer, but running a production server on the internet means that
when things break you have to find the solutions and fix them (often
under high pressure). When you have shared hosting you have at least
one other head to help deal with problems.

It is more work and more risk, and given that we are not keeping up
with the work we have now, deciding to go VPS is not a trivial
decision.

- Paul