[kwlug-disc] Nexus7/Installation - Ubuntu Wiki

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Nov 15 19:28:31 EST 2012

Thanks for the post!

Am I reading the link right - Ubuntu for Android is 'Windows' on top of
the phone (OS)? [Or a 'side' GUI, 'type of thing'?]

Catch me up / curious ... what attracted you to running Ubuntu on the
device instead of Android? ('Full featured OS'?)

- this is how the world is going? Docking the android and having the
accompanying display and keyboard operate as a coherent whole?

On 12-11-15 10:43 AM, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> Well, I took the plunge and picked up a Nexus 7 (16GB) which I promptly
> reflashed to Ubuntu 12.10 according to the instructions below.  It was
> an effortless process which left the device with a 7" Unity desktop,
> touch screen and a soft keyboard.  It behaves exactly the same as the PC
> desktop and is just as functional modulo some issues with clicking on
> buttons that are now just large enough to see.  Package management works
> and has a surprisingly large number of apps ready to go for the
> ARM-hardfloat arch.  Wifi works well as does USB expansion (ethernet and
> disk) with the appropriate OTG cable.  Performance is slower than the
> native Android but reasonable (seems to be a little short on RAM).
>
> There are a few bugs that pop up - the system doesn't appear to react to
> screen "clicks" from time to time.  These are cleared with a quick
> reboot.  Some tailoring for the small form-factor is going to be needed
> as well.
>
> Also today, I came across Ubuntu for Android.
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android/features-and-specs
>
> Looks like Canonical wants Ubuntu to be the killer app for Android.
> Given the way 12.10 runs natively on the Nexus 7 hardware, it should not
> be a stretch.
.
.
.