[kwlug-disc] Nexus7/Installation - Ubuntu Wiki

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Nov 15 10:43:34 EST 2012

Well, I took the plunge and picked up a Nexus 7 (16GB) which I promptly
reflashed to Ubuntu 12.10 according to the instructions below.  It was
an effortless process which left the device with a 7" Unity desktop,
touch screen and a soft keyboard.  It behaves exactly the same as the PC
desktop and is just as functional modulo some issues with clicking on
buttons that are now just large enough to see.  Package management works
and has a surprisingly large number of apps ready to go for the
ARM-hardfloat arch.  Wifi works well as does USB expansion (ethernet and
disk) with the appropriate OTG cable.  Performance is slower than the
native Android but reasonable (seems to be a little short on RAM).

There are a few bugs that pop up - the system doesn't appear to react to
screen "clicks" from time to time.  These are cleared with a quick
reboot.  Some tailoring for the small form-factor is going to be needed
as well.

Also today, I came across Ubuntu for Android.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android/features-and-specs

Looks like Canonical wants Ubuntu to be the killer app for Android.
Given the way 12.10 runs natively on the Nexus 7 hardware, it should not
be a stretch.