[kwlug-disc] Question - Securing ESXi with LUKS?

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 11:28:07 EST 2012

Hello all.

I am new to ESXi, and I am having trouble understanding what is the best approach to encryption.

We currently use proxmox vz containers, and have the root partition unencrypted, and then a LUKS USB stick needs to be inserted to finish bringing up the system and data, and all of the vz's

I am looking for a similar setup in VMWare ESXi, but I am not understanding this very well, as all of the documentation I am reading is telling me to encrypt the vm's.
P.S. the data store for the VM's lives on the machine in a raid 5.1 and not on a san/nas

What is the best approach to protect the data in the event of theft of equipment. Preferably with a USB key held externally, and not a pass-phrase, or a pass-phrase in case of a lost key?