[kwlug-disc] Peter Braid launches Intellectual Property study

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri May 18 17:14:43 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 04:04:13PM -0400, Darcy Casselman wrote:
> http://peterbraid.ca/mp-braid-launches-intellectual-property-study/

[...]

> My illustrious MP is again standing up for IP rights-holders like RIM
> and EA, proposing a study to "strengthen" IP rules.  Reading between
> the lines, I'm seeing "software patents."  I could be wrong, but this
> is definitely something we should keep an eye on.

I figured it was important to clarify this assumption, so I asked, and
the answer was that the scope of the study is based on the following
definition:

	Intellectual property: A form of creative endeavour that can be
		protected through a trade-mark, patent, copyright,
		industrial design or integrated circuit topography.

This was news to me, as I was only familiar with trade-mark, patent,
and copyright as forms of protection, but sure enough, the other two
are forms as well:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_design_right

   http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr00005.html

Thought it would be useful to share with the list.

- Chris