[kwlug-disc] Peter Braid launches Intellectual Property study

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:04:13 EDT 2012

http://peterbraid.ca/mp-braid-launches-intellectual-property-study/

> As a member of the Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology, Mr. Braid put forward a motion that the Committee “undertake a study of the effectiveness of the current intellectual property regime in Canada, which will include the important role of intellectual property in fostering Canadian innovation and leading edge technology. “  The committee has adopted this motion, and has set aside a minimum of 8 meetings for the study.
>
> “A stronger IP regime will help to expand Canada’s innovative capacity, stimulate the knowledge-based economy and create high quality jobs in our community,” said Braid.  “This study will continue our government’s progress on IP, and the development of policies that will enable our cutting-edge businesses to continue to compete and succeed.”

My illustrious MP is again standing up for IP rights-holders like RIM
and EA, proposing a study to "strengthen" IP rules.  Reading between
the lines, I'm seeing "software patents."  I could be wrong, but this
is definitely something we should keep an eye on.

"Stakeholders" are encouraged to send submissions to the committee:

Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology
Sixth Floor, 131 Queen Street
House of Commons
Ottawa ON K1A 0A6
Email : indu at parl.gc.ca