[kwlug-disc] SSH SOCKS proxy without SSH

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 28 12:17:18 EDT 2012

I thought it would be a nice change if I actually asked a question that was
related to Linux on this list.

SSH is capable of some magic tunnelling that I don't understand, as
documented here:

http://paulstamatiou.com/how-to-surf-securely-with-ssh-tunnel

The article uses the following magic command:

ssh -D 8080 -f -C -q -N myuser at myserver.com

Now localhost:8080 will tunnel all traffic through to myserver.com . I
then set up the SOCKS proxy fields in my web browser to enforce the
tunnelling.

So, two questions:

0. What am I looking for if I want to do this without SSH? I am going
to have clients OpenVPN into the network. I understand that I can
force ALL traffic to go through the OpenVPN tunnel, but this is not
actually what I want -- I just want certain traffic proxied.

1. Is there a way to have some websites go through the proxy and some
not? For example, I might want *.cbc.ca to go through the proxy, but
everything else to be local. Again, it would be preferable if this was
not via SSH.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org