[kwlug-disc] OT: Dumb VoIP questions

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 23 12:53:08 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:15:30AM -0400, Tudor Holton wrote:
> This could be a case of the blind leading the blind, but...
>
> My understanding is that E911 is geographically connected to the
> emergency service via an emergency telephone trunk.   This is
> distinctly different from Caller ID, which is just a signal sent
> along with the "ring" packet.  So it is exceptionally easy to fake
> Caller ID, whereas E911 will shortcut at the nearest network switch
> to jump to the emergency service trunk which ends up at a local
> emergency service centre (or designate).  So no need for a number at
> all.  It won't be your number in a database, it will be that your
> VOIP connection is not listed as being able to make that jump.

This thread suggests that E911 calls go to a centralized call centre
and are rerouted. Are you saying the same thing?

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r26108448-General-An-informative-thread-about-E911-VoIP-911-etc

I remain confused. If E911 is NOT associated with my
CallerID, then why is my CallerID coming up when I use the E911 test
number?

- Paul