[kwlug-disc] OT: Dumb VoIP questions

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 22 10:09:09 EDT 2012

>Dumb Question 1: How does VoIP work over Rogers? Do they throttle or

>do other badness to third party VoIP traffic?

I had Rogers Home Phone and currently have Teksavvy Tektalk.  Both
are VoIP.  We haven't noticed anything strange.

>Dumb Question 2: I have a POTS line and a VoIP line, using voip.ms . I
>set the Caller ID of the VoIP line to the POTS line. Do I need to sign
>up for E911 service on the VoIP line now? I signed up using the VoIP
>number, but when I tested the connection by dialing 1-555-555-0911 I
>was told that the test failed because the number (which was the Caller
>ID number) was not in the database. So I am confused.

I don't have POTS line.  With cable, Rogers specifically charged me for
911 service, and Tektalk includes 911 with the package.  But, I don't
now how to test 911 without actually calling 911. :-)
--

William