[kwlug-disc] Android: rooting and carrier locking

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Jul 31 02:11:25 EDT 2012

I rooted my phone, ie. I acquired access as the root user.  The only
thing that changed is that I can now access the complete filesystem and
memory.   So now I can add/delete/change any software, and change
permissions for existing software. By having access to the entire
filesystem I can replace the bootloader on the device. And by changing
the bootloader I can load any kernel software (still a Linux kernel in
my case), and all the associated software (Cyanogenmod instead of
Android, ADW launcher instead of the Android stock launcher (called,
apparently, "Launcher", "Launcher2" or "Trebuchet")[1].

EXCEPT that I still can't access the firmware that's burned into the GSM
radio, which is still highly proprietary and protected[2] (albeit with
decent set of APIs). IIRC, even the famously open OpenMoko phone had
proprietary GSM radio code in it.

I'm speculating here, but there's probably a memory location in the GSM
radio's firmware or NVRAM that correlates a GSM radio's IMEI or IMSI to
a particular carrier's SID.   On a locked phone, if the SIM card doesn't
match, it won't connect to the carrier. "Unlocking the phone" means
replacing that correlation value with a generic "any carrier" code.

Each combination of phone model and carrier could use its own unique
sequence of keypresses to perform the unlock.  I suspect that in
practice, a carrier has a standard set of codes to enter for most of its
phones.

I once called my former carrier's tech support when I couldn't get a
signal, and the tech had me enter all kinds of keypresses to reset,
reconnect and re-initialize my phone.  There were some very interesting
prompts displayed.  Wish I had written it all down.

Wikipedia, which knows everything, tells me that Android phones can be
unlocked with bootloader software[3].  But my current carrier, Wind
Mobile, offers to unlock its own phones after I've been a customer for
three months, so I'm not about to risk bricking my phone by trying this
myself.

When I installed Cyanogenmod all the Wind Mobile branding disappeared,
so the branding wasn't tied to the SIM lock at all.  Of course, YMMV on
your phone.

And finally, Wind Mobile does run on the AWS frequencies.  All the
phones it carries are capable of 2G and 3G GSM as well (eg. Rogers). My
phone (LG P-999) also has WCDMA capability; I'm not sure if that means
it can work on CDMA networks as well (eg. Bell or Telus).  So, unlocking
my phone with AWS would still be useful, because I can then insert a
Rogers SIM and get wider coverage without roaming charges.  The AWS
frequencies would just be unused.

--Bob.

[1] https://identi.ca/conversation/95139835

[2] http://www.h-online.com/open/features/How-free-is-my-phone-1634071.html

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413