[kwlug-disc] Android: rooting and carrier locking

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jul 30 21:18:22 EDT 2012

Let's take this a little further, and be a bit more generic.

These are questions, not statements. I am certainly not an expert.

Unlocking (sim) lock a phone is using a provided (subsidizing carrier?)
code, following a manufacturer's procedure to access an internal
utility, and entering that code there. There is some manufacturer's
facility within a phone to detect the carrier (type?) of sim card
present, and limit functionality AND the ability to use the phone with
sim cards not from the subsidizing carrier's network. Unlocking a phone
will permit use with other carriers, and probably unlock other
restrictions, such as the ability to change the branding on a phone.
e.g. Revert to a manufacturer's logo at startup instead of a carrier's.
It's possible, perhaps even likely, that other functional limitations
are in place, per carrier requirements, when the phone is locked. e.g.
Perhaps (?) restrictions on wi-fi use.

Rooting a phone would be enabling 'root' access / functionality into the
phone - logging in as root instead of as user. Therefore providing
access/permission to a greater level of things.

This is different than replacing the internal OS, with, say, a new
version of Android from git - where, I'm guessing, you're running the
risk of not using an appropriate version and not having drivers for your
particular device. e.g. Touchscreen, wi-fi, carrier? I'm thinking this
would be much like OpenWRT where you want to make sure you have the
right firmware for your device so it has the appropriate drivers already
present. [And much like OpenWRT, if you botch it you get the right
firmware down the next time and load it. i.e. Probably fairly hard to
brick the phone.]

Each of these 3 are independent of each other.

Unlocking a phone would permit use on other carrier's, IF that carrier
is using the same frequencies. e.g. At least at one time, Bell and
Rogers used different frequencies, let alone CDMA / GSM, and Bell wasn't
using SIM cards. Unlocking an AWS phone doesn't mean it would be useful
in this area, as carriers don't use AWS frequencies in the K-W area.
AFAIK. (This gets less absolute since most phones use multiple bands.
And if you have an AWS carrier's SIM and pop it in when you're in
Toronto, you're good to go. When you return to K-W pop in the other SIM,
and get on with your day. Whether this is useful to you is an entirely
different question.)

Rooting a phone will let you???

Replacing the OS would let you run a stock 'kernel' (Android, I presume)
removing the cruft the carrier opted to have installed.

In all of this, I'm guessing some level of firmware is never replaced,
presumably the ability to operate on a network at all, bootloader /
firmware replacement access, basic hardware functionality, etc.

Have I got any of this correct?

BTW ... this sort of thing extends to other devices as well. OpenWRT et
al being an example, let alone I run Chdk on my Canon camera - at
startup the camera loads firmware from the SD card (or, rather, overlays
on top of it). http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK