[kwlug-disc] Android data backups

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jul 25 13:05:37 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:32 AM, Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2012 9:57 PM, "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> > Yes, any handset manufacturer that offers phones with no bootloader lock
> will have an edge. Samsung and HTC mostly have unlocked bootloaders.
> Carrier and handset manufacturer should allow it, with warranty voided, and
> that should be it.
>
>    I believe this isn't something we'll get without government
> intervention.  In my mind it is a basic property right for the owner of the
> hardware to control the keys to any locks, and be able to control what
> software is installed on their digital property.   We need to get
> provincial governments (property rights) involved to protect this.   It
> shouldn't be a matter of "manufacturer should allow it", but that
> "provincial government mandates it".
>
> http://c11.ca/own

Things are worse, and the government is part of the problem, not the
solution.

For example, a consortium of carriers go to the government and says: "we
are running of spectrum, and you have to auction off more frequencies".
That works by having the highest bidder have a monopoly on the new
frequency, and handsets that work on that frequency would work ONLY with
this carrier. This causes more fragmentation of the market and puts more
barriers to users switching carriers (in addition to contracts, SIM locks).

The rest of the world (except the USA) have interoperable handsets. Buying
a handset and signing up with a carrier are two totally different
decisions. There are not frequency issues or "running out of spectrum" in
Europe, Asia, Africa or South America!

As long as Canadian officials look only at the USA market and accept what
the carriers say, we will continue to have one of the most expensive cell
services among industrial nations.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.