[kwlug-disc] Android data backups

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 01:32:21 EDT 2012

On Jul 24, 2012 9:57 PM, "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> Yes, any handset manufacturer that offers phones with no bootloader lock
will have an edge. Samsung and HTC mostly have unlocked bootloaders.
Carrier and handset manufacturer should allow it, with warranty voided, and
that should be it.

   I believe this isn't something we'll get without government
intervention.  In my mind it is a basic property right for the owner of the
hardware to control the keys to any locks, and be able to control what
software is installed on their digital property.   We need to get
provincial governments (property rights) involved to protect this.   It
shouldn't be a matter of "manufacturer should allow it", but that
"provincial government mandates it".

http://c11.ca/own