[kwlug-disc] Android data backups

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Jul 24 23:15:45 EDT 2012

While I wholeheartedly agree that unlocking a bootloader and leaving
instructions for rooting a device in a pastebin do not constitute a warm
embrace of the FOSS ideal, I would vote with my wallet to support
(small) steps in this direction by RIM.  Yes, Android presents an open
and extensible framework for making the device  your own, but this
community didn't appear overnight.  It took several years to develop to
the point where now hardware vendors like HTC provide tools to unlock
devices in the field.  The key is to have the mod community reach a
critical mass where the people who produce the devices recognize and
respect the modders.  As you point out very nicely below, this does not
require a very large community as the modders tend to be the 'tech
gatekeepers/advisors/support' of their immediate social circles:
spouses, kids, parents, relatives, neighbours...

Of course, to truly win over the modders, one has to allow more than
changing wallpaper and moving icons- they will want at the guts of the
system.  I can understand that RIM might not want to allow too much
tinkering with the internals of its messaging system and that's OK.  In
fact, I can see this as an opening where they can have two lines of
products:  the fully-locked enterprise device and the unlocked, hackable
dev device.  Same hardware, same base software, where the dev community
does the beta work and vets (much needed) new ideas for the enterprise
line (think Red Hat/Fedora).  Possibly the switch to QNX will allow for
this kind of bifurcation with a codebase the community can get its hands
on. Certainly a change in approach along these lines will turn a lot
more heads on the release of BB10 than just casting yet another
candy-bar phone into the sea of options.

The question is if there are sufficiently many interested modders to
take up this kind of project even if the corporate side gives them all
the tools.  It sounds much like the last days of Palm, no?  Maybe there
really is room for only one "open" mobile device OS - an argument I do
not buy.  Definitely, a change of this scale would have been easier to
push through with 20% market share.