[kwlug-disc] Wanted: help in refining presentation

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jul 24 00:46:10 EDT 2012

On 7/23/2012 10:41 PM, L.D. Paniak wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to see the ZFS/SAN/iSCSI target topic.  Maybe as
> backend storage for ESX among other uses.
>
> Cluster file systems are also interesting.

These seem a little heavy for the group. Needing a certain level of
hardware to hand before one gets near, beyond the normal reach of our
average hobbyist. (Perhaps a little hard to go home and practice what
you just saw in your basement?) Seems more professional development to
me. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, and if the interest is there,
go nuts.

If we approach these areas as investigating the virtual, demonstrated
with a particular set of tools (even if proprietary), then I cannot see
how it cannot be anything but all good. (Especially when, once you
understand a concept, it's relatively easy to find the corresponding
concept in VirtualBox.)

You might consider instead of a Kiwi only presentation, a themed
(virtual) night.

For example:
- we're all running a web server in a vm appropriately isolated off,
aren't we?
- want to check out a <something>, and there's an appliance?
- following best practices, we're all running pfsense, right? No, well
how about doing so in a vm?
- any of Kiwi's potential topics
- probably many more
- especially, and particularly with ESX, there's a certain mental
distrust of the non-physical to overcome. Making people more comfortable
with having one around, and care, feeding, and control, leads to all else.
- serving up thin clients (PXE?) seems useful. Although such a
presentation would probably spend most of the time on the nature of the
clients served up. Serve up xbmc for an evening's entertainment, reboot
the next day to do 'real' work?

Not long ago in the list there was a discussion about remote servers /
hosts, e.g. Amazon. Perhaps a discussion of such ecosystems ties in here?

Not long ago I came across
http://pandodaily.com/news/mozilla-to-end-active-development-of-thunderbird-email-client/,
indicating that active thunderbird development is going to be declining.

Not long ago I came across Zimbra again.
(http://www.vmware.com/products/zimbra/overview.html) Hadn't known
Zimbra was now a vmware thing.

If there is interest, and if we're talking vmware things, perhaps Zimbra
could be discussed in a presentation.