[kwlug-disc] Android data backups - calypso calendar

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Jul 19 14:18:27 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Gordon Dey <gordon.dey at happydeys.ca> wrote:

> Conclusion:
> Out-of-tin experience is for developers only.

Just looking at the list of supported servers that the CalDav-Sync and
CalDav-Sync utilities work with.

>From that list, at least davical and radicale are both in Ubuntu's package
repositories. There may be others, I only searched for "caldav".

More interesting to me though is that owncloud appears to work for both
caldav and carddav, which is something that has a bit of momentum behind it
currently. It is also closer to the experience you'd get with a traditional
"cloud" service (web access, file shares, etc).

There appear to be a few issues preventing a seamless experience with the
caldav-sync and carddav-sync apps, but it should be interesting to follow
as owncloud matures.

Another note is that owncloud has their own android app in development,
which intends to handle calendar and contact syncing itself.

Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>