[kwlug-disc] Using mnemonicode for GPG fingerprints

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Jul 6 17:42:12 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 02:29:10PM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> $ echo 04F7 742B 8F54 C40A E115  26C2 B912 89B0 D2CC E5EA|mnencode -x
>
>  Wordlist ver 0.7
> genius version final. alex pablo berlin. cactus visible pulse
> dance insect ninja. valery jasmine double

My test, using the latest git tree from here:

	https://github.com/singpolyma/mnemonicode.git

Using commit 7a1892563a

Gives:

$ echo 04F7 742B 8F54 C40A E115  26C2 B912 89B0 D2CC E5EA | ./mnencode -x
 Wordlist ver 0.7
genius version final. alex pablo berlin. isabel aladdin trivial
tunnel lecture heaven. section number plume

Which is not the same as yours above.

Decoding my results returns the correct fingerprint.

So it seems there's a problem with your particular encoder.

I'm not sure that mnemonic encoder is an improvement for over-the-phone
verification, though.  Using something like the phonetic alphabet
is probably just as accurate, and doesn't require the receiver to know
how to spell all the words you give him. :-)

Fortunately, for hex, all we have to memorize are: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie,
Delta, Echo, Foxtrot.

- Chris