[kwlug-disc] Linux Played a Crucial Role in Discovery of Higgs boson

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Jul 5 14:55:18 EDT 2012

Particle physics researchers have always been strong supporters of FOSS
because of the need for flexibility, performance and reliability in
computing and networking at the bleeding edge.

For serious academic computation, Linux is far and away the leading
choice of operating system.  And its share of the "market" grows over
time.

Head over to the Top500 site where the supercomputers of the world are
ranked.  On the stats page you can view characteristics of the systems
over time:

http://i.top500.org/overtime

Choose "Operating System Family" in Category and either performance or
systems share.

Enjoy!
-Lori