[kwlug-disc] Google requiring users to log into android phones. Plan to track users across all google products

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:32:17 EST 2012

  You always needed to log into your google phone in order for basic
features to work, including the app store.   It was always a bit of a
fake "pretend we aren't already logged in" when going to sites with
the browser.

  Android lacks multi-user functionality, something they should
embrace -- including having a 'guest' account like they do with their
ChromeOS.  I have a number of google accounts, and there are times I'd
like to loan my device to someone else -- as it is I wouldn't feel
comfortable doing that.

  I think this policy change will improve privacy given more people
will recognise that these mobile devices (iOS/Android, phone/tablets)
are personal devices which can't really be shared/loaned/etc.   Where
things are an even sillier problem is Google/Apple TV which is
household/family and shouldn't be manufactured as "personal".