[kwlug-disc] Any experience with vpsville.ca?

Stephen Worotynec sw at smoky.ca
Sun Jan 15 13:43:39 EST 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012, Andrew Sullivan Cant wrote:

> I am trying to find a new VPS. My site is currently on a $5/50MB webhost, but
> I want to do more experiments and would like a full OS.
>
> So vpsville.ca has a hosting option at $10, they are in Toronto, but their
> reviews are inconsistent. Some glowing and some damning.
>
> Has anyone here had any experience with this company?

I have used a Debian VPS from vpsville.ca.

On the positive side, you can pay as you go with no commitment - you
really can kick the tires for ten or fifteen dollars and see if it is
what you are seeking.

The main negative for me was the minimal resources the virtual servers
are allocated. Stock apache2 won't start on one of the $15/mo servers
until StartServers and other configuration settings are bumped down. And
that's just one example.

The default install is also unusually bare bones - without the 'locales'
package, a lot of other packages fail in their final configuration steps.
Easily remedied, but it was another minor headache item.

I've been using similarly priced Rackspace cloud servers for almost two
years, and have had no such problems. So I don't think cheapo virtual
servers are a universally bad experience.

On balance, I would not recommend vpsville.

Regards,

Stephen