[kwlug-disc] Any experience with vpsville.ca?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sun Jan 15 04:07:00 EST 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:33:57PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan Cant wrote:
> So vpsville.ca has a hosting option at $10, they are in Toronto, but
> their reviews are inconsistent. Some glowing and some damning.

I ended up with linode. It is in the USA, which is unfortunate. But they
have a pretty good features, including ssh to serial console, rescue
environment, etc. They came somewhat recommended from some chats on IRC.

They also allow you to have multiple VMs (though you can only run one at
a time). It makes building a new server (or upgrading) nice and easy as
you can keep your previous machine around.

I paid ~$220 for 1 year of service (I'm on my second year with them).

Worth noting is that they have an internal apt-cache server. You
have to set it up manually, but then anything coming through apt doesn't
count toward your transfer allotment.

Also worth noting is that backups are an additional addon. I simply grab
a copy of the entire server via rsync on a weekly basis. I prefer to
have copies of everything anyway.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca