[kwlug-disc] Any experience with vpsville.ca?

Daniel Allen danielrobertallen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 00:13:58 EST 2012

Friend of mine had an amazingly awful experience with vpsville- they lost
his servers and all backups. Their response to customers was: "On October
the 7th [2008] we exeprienced what looks like total failure of some storage
devices. This has resulted in data loss for many customers that have been
migrated to these new systems. Data recovery is not possible, and we are
unable to allocate space for these customers on other nodes. This is a
terrible situation  and if we could salvage the data in some way we would,
but unfortunately its not possible. This data is lost permanently. We also
lack the capacity to move affected customers to other nodes. We are working
hard to add more capacity but it will be some time until its online. We are
therefore forced to cancel these accounts and starting next week will be
refunding all affected customers." My friend's report is consistent with
other reports on the web, such as: http://beryllium.ca/?p=36

GIven that they were claiming off-site incremental backups which turned out
to not exist, unless there's been a complete change of management, I
wouldn't trust them with my data.

The guy who told me this story is now on iweb, and if you want I can put
you in touch with him for more details.

-Daniel