[kwlug-disc] GNOME Shell slides and notes

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Jan 11 12:17:14 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 01:05, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:
> I've got a dual monitor setup, and am running Gnome3.  The monitor I
> have defined to be the "left" behaves as you demonstrated on Monday; the
> monitor on the right only ever shows one workspace, even when the
> workspace for the left monitor changes.
>
> Ideally I'd like to manage the workspaces on each monitor separately,
> but I'll settle for one workspace that spans both monitors (so that I
> can change what's displayed on the right).

I don't think having separate workspaces on each monitor is possible,
but one workspace that spans both monitors is possible. You need to
change a configuration value to allow the second monitor to have
workspaces. Personally, I don't like the default setting here, so I'm
sure it will change in time.

http://gregcor.com/2011/05/07/fix-dual-monitors-in-gnome-3-aka-my-workspaces-are-broken/

A side effect of the default behaviour is that even after enabling
workspaces on the second monitor, the overview still shows all
windows, rather than limiting to the current workspace. I'm hoping
that gets resolved (hey, maybe I'll try if it bothers me enough).

Note also that on the Ubuntu side, Unity's 12.04 release is supposed
to bring major multi-monitor changes and improvements.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>