[kwlug-disc] I need Painfully simple load balancing.

Fernando Duran liberosec at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 20 19:40:16 EST 2012

Hi,

I replied in another email trying to make sense of "sqlite load balancing", but this (minecraft) is very different (you want to "load balance" the application).

As I understand minecraft is a Java app that stores user's progress on a file per user (I haven't installed a minecraft server and I'm not very familiar with it) and it can use sqlite or mysql for extra info. Surely other people had thought and implemented solutions specifically for minecraft but as a high level I see two options to "load balance" minecraft (the app, not the "database").

You can keep particular players and their worlds on specific servers and just add more servers for new players/new worlds. Basically user provisioning management (not load balancing). You'd need to write your own push or pull Linux script to identify when a server is "getting full" by translating that into specific RAM memory levels, response times etc, and/or using if possible a minecraft facility that tells you the number of users (being a Java app you are probably RAM-bound and memory is directly proportional to users). Then you can present the info in a web page so users know what server to use, this is more or less how it was done in other games I used to play some 10 years ago.

Another option is to separate the java app from the data files, having several minecraft app servers connected to a single data file (plus sqlite/mysql) server (using remote filesystem), this way users can use any minecraft server but I don't know how the network lag would affect the responsiveness for the gameplay.(You'd still need to write or find a polling script for app server utilization).

Cheers,

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com