[kwlug-disc] Cabling for video

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Tue Sep 27 15:06:31 EDT 2011

This question is probably  best posed to the KWatzlab group.

In my less-than-expert opinion my guess is that they are concerned about
stray voltage, perhaps from static electricity or induction.

You'll also probably find that shielded cable is harder to run (stiffer).

Are the video converters much more expensive than the cable? Otherwise the
cost savings could justify the lack of warranty.

you could consider running component video, it can handle a run like that
without special equipment but I doubt it would be easy for VGA signals, but
it is well suited for HD video.

There are also extenders for HDMI that are cheap ($90), use CAT 5e (or 6)
and can carry DVI from a video card.