[kwlug-disc] Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sat Sep 24 11:04:59 EDT 2011

Here is a de-FUD-ded version of the Windows 8 boot system from MS
themselves:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

Bottom line:  Windows 8 won't work without secure boot enabled. And
secure boot will not let anything else boot unless UEFI has a
certificate for it. The question of dealing with other OSes (disable
option, user management of boot certs, ??) is left to the motherboard
vendors.

It is a very nice play by Redmond. They can attempt to patch the
vulnerabilities  of their poor security architecture *and* make it more
difficult for PCs to run alternative operating systems at the same time.
All the while leaving the motherboard vendors holding the bag.

The good news is that (almost) the entire installed base of PC hardware
will not be qualified to run Windows 8.

We should have a pool on how long it takes for this system to be hacked
and turned into yet another Windows vulnerability.