[kwlug-disc] Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 23 14:22:23 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 01:58:01PM -0400, Eric Gerlach wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>
> Confirmed.  Microsoft is requiring the presence of Secure Boot, and
> that is enabled by default, but a "disable" switch is up to the OEM.
>
> The enterprise will want Windows XP/Vista/7 support.  Therefore the
> OEMs will have disable switches.  Problem solved.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/microsoft-attempt-address-windows-8-linux-worries/

I disagree with your second point. In my experience HP/Compaq has few
compunctions with locking users out of functionality (e.g. disabling
VTx extensions in the BIOS and not permitting them to be re-enabled).
The invisible hand is supposed to slap such vendors, but the Desktop
Linux hand is sufficiently wimpy that this is unlikely.

Once Windows 9 rolls around there will be few reasons to allow Windows
7 on new machines that are sold, which reduces incentive even more.

Enterprises purchasing new hardware rarely want to support old
operating systems, especially when drivers for those new machines are
not supported by the OEM.

At the very least this creates yet another roadblock for non-geeky
users to put Linux on their machines, because the Secure Boot will be
enabled by default.

-Paul

--
All-candidates meetings: