[kwlug-disc] WIND is in K-W? [Was: Re: Windows 8 OEM specs mayblock Linux booting]

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Sep 21 23:11:07 EDT 2011

One appalling thing about WIND Mobile is that they run on different
frequencies than the other major players. It is not their fault, but rather
the government.

In Europe, Africa and Asia, it would be unthinkable to have handsets that
work with one carrier but not others. Buying a handset and getting the
service are two separate decisions, with no tie-in whatsoever. No lock in,
no strings.

Imagine if we had handsets that are all the same frequencies, not locked in
to a carrier, and a newcomer to the market came with a plan that is
significantly cheaper than the incumbents? Real competition and market
forces would be at play.

Now with different frequencies, the impact of WIND and other players is not
so much felt by the big three.

In Canada, we have accepted the US model, and succumbed to the "spectrum is
running out" fallacy.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.