[kwlug-disc] Is there a way that I can https Proxy into my lan's http pages?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Sep 13 17:40:43 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 05:31:25PM -0400, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> one issue you may have is if your web servers use name-based
> virtualhosting. You will find that pointing a browser at
> http://localhost:8080 will pass "localhost" as the host name and that
> will confuse virtualhosting.

This is indeed an issue when using plain port forwarding.
I get around it by adding a few entries in /etc/hosts, which point
to localhost.  It's pretty hacky though. :-)  Especially when I forget
to remove them afterward....

But when using the SOCKS proxy, this is less of an issue.  I believe you
can even forward the DNS lookups through SOCKS.  I'd have to run tests
to confirm, but the following indicates it is true:

	http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/12/08/ssh-tunnel-socks-proxy-forwarding-secure-browsing/
	http://www.outflux.net/blog/archives/2006/12/07/paranoid-browsing-with-squid/

I think the SOCKS proxy is under-used coolness. :-)

- Chris