[kwlug-disc] Today in Software Freedom Day news

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Sep 4 01:27:41 EDT 2011

I know that you all have been waiting breathlessly for more Software
Freedom Day planning news. I want you all to enjoy your Labour Day
weekends instead of anxiously fretting about when you'll get an
update, so here's an update.

Firstly, we have a somewhat-memorable link for the page now:
http://www.theworkingcentre.org/sfd

We are now in the publicity phase of SFD planning.  The most effective
publicity is word of mouth. Please help spread the word by mentioning
Software Freedom Day to those you think might be interested. One of
the reasons I am pushing this event so hard is because it is intended
to be friendly and relevant to non-geeks who might find our regular
KWLUG meetings intimidating. We are trying to orient the talks to be
for non-technical users.

Poster
------

Thanks to Charles, we have a poster now. Here is a direct link:
http://www.theworkingcentre.org/pub/2011/sfd2011-poster.pdf

You can also get a link from the main SFD page. The source is
there too in Inkscape SVG, so if you think Android should not be on
the poster or want to make Wordpress bigger, nobody can stop you.

If you are willing, please print out the poster and put it up
whereever you think would be appropriate -- computer shops, libraries,
at your workplace, on your fridge... In my opinion the poster looks
okay in black and white, but we have some colour printouts that you
can pick up from Computer Recycling.

Electronic Calendars and Event Postings
---------------------------------------

The next phase of the marketing blitz is to get the event mentioned on
events calendars and in social networking sites.

For those of you who facebook, there is a facebook event now:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=280671618613047

We are happy to link to events listings on other social networks too
(Does Diaspora* have events?). Send me a link (or edit the wikipage, I
guess).

We could use a lot of help with publicity. I am really bad at it and
Charles is pretty busy, so any help you could provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Speakers
--------

So far we have five speakers booked:

- Photographer Stefan Chirila (http://www.stefanchirila.com) will be
  discussing how he uses free software to edit photos
- Raul will be talking about Software Freedom and the four freedoms
- Charles will be talking about XBMC
- I will give a tour of free culture resources (CC and public
  domain clip art, photos, music, video...)
- Bob Jonkman will be giving a tutorial on Linux Basics

There are still slots for a few more speakers, and there are lots of
topics to talk about. If you are willing to give a short (30 minute?)
general-audience talk about some aspect of free software/culture that
interests you, then get in touch. You don't have to be an expert on
the topic to speak.

Other Volunteering
------------------

A few people have volunteered to help out on the day of the event. We
could use a few more helpers for things like

- Set up and takedown
- Greeting people when they arrive
- Helping support people during the Installfest
- Helping out with A/V during the presentations

If you are interested in helping out for a couple of hours then let me
know.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org