[kwlug-disc] I'm looking to host a high ram server in a fast connection area.

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Sun Oct 30 10:03:14 EDT 2011

This is a somewhat inexperienced opinion so take it as it is.

Colo is a great idea if you need something monolithic that can't be
clustered or load balanced or requires some special hardware. I can tell you
that I would colo that box for more than what Amazon AWS might be.

You don't say how much memory you need or whose VPS service you're using so
excuse me if I talk about something inappropriate.

You can get a 15GB server from Amazon cheaper than colo and likely the data
transfer would be cheaper too. The downside is that the server won't have
any of the typical redundancies most like to see in a server (no 2nd PS or
RAID). To reduce costs you may also find that it becomes a little more
complicated that you may like, since you may use S3 for static content and
snapshots; and use EBS for persistent storage if your up time or RPO
requires it.

Keep in mind that a base cost for colo is the cost for electricity your
server requires times 2.5 or more (to account for A/C). So for a 200W server
the electricity costs may be about $30/month. Then add in other overheads
and a profit margin and bandwidth. Then keep in mind you need a remote
access solution or you'll have to hop in the car to perform things needing
the console or power reset. I'd be surprised if you find a colo that would
do it for less than $100/month which is about what a VPS costs.

If your circumstances still work better with colo try me or CCJ clearline or
Packetworks. We can offer colo service that may not compare in subtleties
with the Waterloo Data Fortress but it will likely be enough and will be
less expensive.

  _____