[kwlug-disc] Add swap space while a centos server is live.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Oct 30 06:09:33 EDT 2011

OK, time to ask the questions that should have been asked earlier:

- what 'specs' are on your current 'server', cpu, mem?

- what makes you think you need to add swap space? (Not saying you're
wrong, just, what's brought the issue to your attention?)

- what partitions / mounts do you currently have? I assume one. Pick
your favourites, 'fdisk -l', 'parted -l', mount, cat /etc/fstab, cat
/etc/mtab.

- what are you running / what's causing you concern. e.g. If apache,
Khalid will have a myriad of suggestions appropriate to your specifics.

As said earlier in the thread, you can make swap space in a file. This
should be safe to do on the fly. I believe the only time this gets
weird (slow) is if you have a lot of swap in use, and turn it off. Not
your case here.

Can anyone chime in as to how to go about determining if you need swap
space / are running out of memory, etc.

Seems to me systems are a little 'happier' with at least a little swap
space. If anyone knows that to be not/true, your thoughts would be
welcome.

I would guess your provider's burst ram means your host will
dynamically use additional RAM when/as it needs it, so swap would
likely never be necessary. But everyone's MMV.

If speed is your issue, and it's not net bound, and you've got RAM to
spare, a ramdisk may help, depending upon your circumstances.