[kwlug-disc] OT: Non-satellite alternatives to Rogers Cable?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Oct 28 01:17:06 EDT 2011

Speaking from very bitter experience, they are right.

When Bell (Golden) upgraded from 3 (?) Mbps to 5, and I wasn't seeing
any improvement (a year later), I got Execulink to get Bell to check
the line. They took me from 1.5 Mbps to 512 Kbps, and I had to beg to
at least get back to what I had before.

The only other way I could have gotten better service would have been
to cancel my service for some months, then reconnect, and hope I got a
better DSLAM connection. And there was no guarantee I would.

I ended up going to Rogers, and haven't looked back since, except for
the price - 'til recently. Since then I've learned I'm 6km from the
C.O., so nothing is ever going to help me on a DSL line. Bob - I
think, if you know you're 5+ km from the C.O., you're right to not
play with it.

The last few months I've been watching the Acanac forums, and not
liking what I see at all. Poor customer service capacity, and many
inconsistent reports of < 5Mbps service - with no effective recourse
(on 15 Mbps lines). [They blame cable congestion, if they say anything
at all.] I'm tempted, to go through the hassle of their customer
service and purchase a +$100 modem, but not so much so far that I've
gone ahead and done it.

There seems to be a better feeling at TekSavvy, at least they seem to
have a responsive customer service department, but the TekSavvy AU
policy is almost as bad as Roger's (no services, port 25 blocked),
while Acanac doesn't even have an AU policy (at least as far as
internet use goes).

Moral: The grass isn't always greener, and the effort required to get
over the top of the hill to see is non-trivial, if it goes sour.

Oh, and to fire up a 2nd cable service, at least until the new install
is proven, is an $80 charge. And there are lots of forum posts on
transfers from Rogers to Acanac where multi-month service delays (so
no internet in the mean time) are reported.