[kwlug-disc] Nokia N9

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Oct 27 13:14:04 EDT 2011

Too bad. They are the market leaders in many areas (India, Egypt, ...etc.)

They effectively ditched Symbian, end of lifed MeeGo, and committed to
Windows.

Not surprising since their new CEO (Elop), is an ex-Microsoft Vice
President.

I have a friend who works for them, and was working on MeeGo in Finland. He
is among many who will be laid off because of these repeated fiascos.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:21 AM, Colin K <colin at void11.com> wrote:

> Shame because their phones were tip notch in the longevity department.  Too
> bad no one would bother coding for them at this point.  I mean even rim us
> rethinking things.
> On Oct 24, 2011 7:03 PM, "Chris Irwin" <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
>
>> The N9, the first meego/harmattan phone is shipping and has been
>> reviewed by engadget.
>>
>> The reviewer really seems to like it. It looks like it handles
>> multitasking nicer than Android does. From a development point of view,
>> it is QT-based, so it is probably a fairly easy learning curve for
>> desktop developers to work with (as opposed to Palm focusing on web
>> developers)
>>
>>    http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/22/nokia-n9-review/
>>
>> Personally, I think it looks like an awesome phone. A strange
>> combination of great hardware and a great os (which happens, but not
>> usually on a launch phone).
>>
>> Now take those nice things I just said, and all the nice things in the
>> article, and change them to past tense. The Nokia/Microsoft thing was
>> big news at the time, and it's interesting to see how nice and polished
>> a "dead end" platform can be. That their CEO could look at the early
>> versions of this and cancel it shows a lack of vision, but is not really
>> surprising as he was a Microsoft exec. That this phone and software can
>> exist without re-evaluating that decision is extremely sad.
>>
>> Another sad point to ponder is that this nice user interface is not (as
>> far as I can find) Open Source, unlike the meego underpinnings. No
>> source and no product means it probably dies here, too.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Irwin
>> e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca
>> w: http://chrisirwin.ca