[kwlug-disc] OT: Non-satellite alternatives to Rogers Cable?

Tue Nov 8 19:00:56 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 08 06:10:58 PM L.D. Paniak wrote:
> For completeness, what was the name of the antenna?  The box and
> paperwork are long gone.  I don't see it at Research Electronic
> ( http://www.researchelectronic.com/ ) any longer.

It's a Digiwave ANT-2109. I got it at Orion Electronics on Lancaster near
Victoria. It's not a spectacular antenna in any way, but it's a higher gain
yagi which wasn't physically huge, which is why I got it.

The antenna isn't super important; just get what matches your needs. In my
case I wanted a highly directional antenna because I was after the only
Canadian ATSC I could find, which was on the CN Tower and it was a stretch.
Buffalo and Hamilton were just extra perks.

The Gray-Hoverman antenna is a hell of a good antenna if you want
omnidirectional reception. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/ is the home of the
OTA Digital Television forums. This is where all the smart people hang out and
hack antennas, amps, baluns... you name it. There are lots of antenna designs
to choose from, lots of information and helpful people there. That's where I'd
go if you have questions about ATSC.

-A.