[kwlug-disc] Google in KW?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri May 20 12:48:40 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:

>  On 2011-05-20 11:29, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > What do people think of this move for Google to grow in KW?  Any ties
>>

> Not quite the answer nuts-and-bolts you are looking for but I talked to a
> candidate for alderman (Kit) in the recent municipal election.
> He told me that he was "in the loop". And that some of the tech companies
> (maybe Google) moved from Wloo to Kit (Tannery et al.) because of the
> services and facilities that Kitchener could offer that Waterloo could not.
> I am not sure exactly what services and facilities he was referring to.
> Railway? Condos? I dunno.

The Record's tech supplement mentioned that it was mainly because they are
expanding and having more staff so needed a bigger facility. Not sure if
there were
tax or other deals to augment that.

By the way ReqWireless was indeed the company that Google bought, but from
what I remember, they never launched a product and were bought before they
did. So maybe Google wanted the talent only. The fact that there is no
Waterloo
specific product supports that view. They stayed quiet for months about the
purchase,  until it was leaked when an ad appeared specifying Waterloo as
the
location.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin