[kwlug-disc] Google in KW?

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Fri May 20 12:07:14 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Russell McOrmond
<russellmcormond at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do people think of this move for Google to grow in KW?  Any ties
> in to OpenText or RIM (IE: is Google bringing in people to directly
> compete with them -- media suggests that this is Chrome that the KW
> Google staff are focused on).

Google bought a wireless company in the area (Reqwireless) several
years ago, which was the origin of the office.  I'm sure being able to
draw RIM engineers and top UW grads and co-ops doesn't hurt.

No ties to Open Text, except they poach our search engine people. :)

Also, I'm pretty sure the media reports are wrong, and what they
actually work on here is ChomeOS.  Going by their job posting anyway:
http://www.google.ca/intl/en/jobs/swe/software-engineer-waterloo/index.html

This would be an awfully small office to be working on Chrome the browser.

Darcy.