[kwlug-disc] Ubunbtu 11.04 : Source Code Editors

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sun May 15 09:36:10 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-15 09:10, Kyle Spaans wrote:
> Forgive me for being nit-picky and OT, but what are you editing that
> requires you to `sudo gedit<file>`? Are you editing system config
> files? If not, you shouldn't need root permission.
Good questions.
I am a newbie with Linux/Ubuntu and am to suggestions and cautions,
especially when doing stuff with root permissions.

I am working in "/var/www" and am setting up websites (simple at first)
to be accessed locally through htt://localhost/ and remotely, i.e. from
the 'net, using http://<insert-ip-address-here>/.

Getting access to "/var/www" required changes to some system config files.
'sudo gedit <file>' came from the tutorials for this.

Access to a basic HTML/CSS website works.

Getting PHP & MySQL to work (ongoing) also required/requires changes to
some system config files.
And for some reason, probably a mistake, the PHP files themselves are
owned by root.
Hence `sudo gedit <file> construct.

As for OT: I have not tried
'gedit <file>'
with a simple text file owned by a non-root user to see if I get the
same errors with the suspected gedit history files.

Tx: JJ