[kwlug-disc] Ubunbtu 11.04 : Source Code Editors

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 01:58:08 EDT 2011

In the past I've used Geany. Mostly for C and Bash.

In Linux Vi or Emacs may be what you are looking for, but you'll need to go through the learning curve.

They are highly configurable, so what you get out of the box is usually a small fraction of what you can get out of them. Properly configured they don't just provide syntax highlighting but things like code refactoring or integration with other tools. (static code analysis, compilers, source control, etc).
http://www.google.ca/search?q=emacs+integration
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Integration

As you may know, trying to get advise on which one to choose is akin to kicking a a hornet nest. In the end is a matter of preference.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx