[kwlug-disc] Meeting with (not so new) MPs in KW region.

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Sat May 7 09:00:00 EDT 2011

2011/5/6 L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>:
> I am aiming at a more fundamental problem.  Is it necessary for the
> government to specify the system on which I play back my legally
> purchased (licensed) media?

This is where I'm worried that a lobbyist/politiker who knows more
legalese will trip me up. When we buy a copy of a work of art
(copyrighted) either in physical or digital form, does that copy
become our property? Or are we merely licensing it from the creator on
terms of their choosing? (E.G. "you buy this CD only to be played in
CD players, not in other formats")

Perhaps the latter example is a little extreme, but wouldn't we have
to take a different rhetorical approach if the "copyright & non-owner
locks problem" was one of licensing rather than one of property? Or is
there even a legal distinction between these?

I guess I have some more homework to do before writing letters (I'm
going to try handwritten this time) to my MP. :)